Intermountain Division OEC Module of the Senior Program
Thinking about registering for this season's OEC Module of the Senior Program Evaluation? There’s a lot of work you’ll need to do to get ready, and it’s important that you understand the level of commitment that is required for your success.
Here’s a rundown on the steps you’ll need to follow:
- You must be a current NSP member and hold a current certification as an OEC technician to pursue your Senior. (We’ll need copies of your cards before you are able to participate in the evaluation).
- You must have a minimum of one full ski season of prior experience as an active Patroller within the last three years before you are eligible for Senior. (Your candidate year does not count.)
- Obtain and read NSP's The Ski Patroller’s Manual (14th edition).
- Download, review and plan for the completion of the Senior OEC Candidate Checklist (see “Links & Forms” below) and all of the steps outlined on the checklist.
- You will need to register on the NSP website.
- NSP - Login to NSP.org and select - Course Schedule. Then search for and register for course I009220001.
- IMD - Download and complete the IMD Senior Candidate Application (see “Links & Forms” below).
- You will need your Patrol Director to sign your Senior application signifying he or she believes you have Senior level skills and meet the requirements for evaluation.
- Then, mail your check with a $45.00 registration fee to Debra Wright 103 S 725 W Blackfoot Id 83221 to reserve your place. Make check out to IMD OEC.
- Determine who on your patrol serves as your patrol’s Senior Training Coordinator for OEC skills —this patroller (an OEC IT or OEC instructor who is OEC senior level is required) will work with you to plan and coordinate the training activities you will engage in to prepare for the Senior OEC evaluation, and sign off on your checkoffs. Please send your trainer's name to Debra Wright.
- Download, review, and plan for the completion of the OEC Senior Skills Performance Checkoff. (see “Links & Forms” below).
- Complete and submit Written Scenario Exercises (this involves writing essay answers to two scenario problems described in Appendix G of The Ski Patroller’s Manual).
- Write and submit a new senior-level OEC scenario. A “how-to” guide to scenario content, a sample senior-level scenario, the scenario scoring matrix, and the senior-level OEC scenario blank form, are provided below under “Links & Forms.”
- Participate as the leader in a minimum of 4 senior-level OEC practice scenarios. (Completion is documented on the bottom of the OEC senior Skills Performance Check-Off Form).
- You are responsible for bringing a patient with you to your Evaluation. Your patient must be an experienced patroller. Please provide your patient’s name and contact information by Feb 1, 2022.
- Bring your fully stocked patrol belt/vest to the event. Be prepared to use up gloves and fresh bandage supplies treating 4-5 guests in the day.
- Treat the day as a real scenario.
Sound like a lot? That’s BECAUSE IT IS!
Senior OEC is an essential component of the NSP’s Senior program and is tailor-made for members who aspire to perform at the upper levels of proficiency as patrollers. This process will help you to develop and enhance your decision-making, problem management, and leadership skills. If you’re willing to work hard throughout the season to prepare, your success is in your own hands.
The Senior OEC evaluation day has limited capacity and so allocation of evaluation slots is first come, first served.
Links & Forms: (Right-click to download)
Writing your Senior Scenario: