Intermountain Division OEC Module of the Senior Program
Evaluator, Helper, Patient Registration Form:
Candidate Questionnaire (Read all the information below before filling out this questionnaire)
Thinking about registering for this season's OEC Module of the Senior Program Evaluation? There’s a lot of work you’ll need to do to get ready, and it’s important that you understand the level of commitment that is required for your success.
Here’s a rundown on the steps you’ll need to follow:
- You must be a current NSP member and hold a current certification as an OEC technician to pursue your Senior. (We’ll need copies of your cards before you are able to participate in the evaluation).
- You must have a minimum of one full ski season of prior experience as an active Patroller within the last three years before you are eligible for Senior. (Your candidate year does not count.)
- Obtain and read NSP's The Ski Patroller’s Manual (14th edition). (Link below)
- Download, review and plan for the completion of the Senior OEC Candidate Checklist (see “Links & Forms” below) and all of the steps outlined on the checklist.
- You will need to register on the NSP website.
- NSP - Login to NSP.org, go into center for learning click on Browse catalog. Search OEC Module Senior Evaluation (Do not select Non-Credit Course), Click enroll, in the filter box under location look for Intermountain Division, hit select then submit at the bottom of the page.
- You will also need to register for the OEC Module Senior Clinic Non Credit. This is a course the Senior OEC IOR at your hill has set up for you to prepare for the final test. If the IOR has not done this please have them contact Debra Wright.
- IMD - Download and complete the IMD Senior Candidate Application (see “Links & Forms” below).
- You will need your Patrol Director to sign your Senior application signifying he or she believes you have Senior level skills and meet the requirements for evaluation.
- Then, mail your check with a $45.00 registration fee to Debra Wright 103 S 725 W Blackfoot Id 83221 to reserve your place. Make check out to IMD OEC.
- Determine who on your patrol serves as your patrol’s Senior Training Coordinator for OEC skills —this patroller (an OEC IT or OEC instructor who is OEC senior level is required) will work with you to plan and coordinate the training activities you will engage in to prepare for the Senior OEC evaluation, and sign off on your checkoffs. Please send your trainer's name to Debra Wright.
- Download, review, and plan for the completion of the OEC Senior Skills Performance Checkoff. (see “Links & Forms” below).
- Complete and submit Written Scenario Exercises (this involves writing essay answers to two scenario problems described in Appendix G of The Ski Patroller’s Manual).
- Write and submit a new senior-level OEC scenario. A “how-to” guide to scenario content, a sample senior-level scenario, the scenario scoring matrix, and the senior-level OEC scenario blank form, are provided below under “Links & Forms.”
- Participate as the leader in a minimum of 4 senior-level OEC practice scenarios. (Completion is documented on the bottom of the OEC senior Skills Performance Check-Off Form).
- You are responsible for bringing a patient with you to your Evaluation. Your patient must be an experienced patroller. Please provide your patient’s name and contact information by Feb 1, 2023. Also have your patient fill out the patient registration form. Link found at the top or bottom of this page.
- Bring your fully stocked patrol belt/vest to the event. Be prepared to use up gloves and fresh bandage supplies treating 4-5 guests in the day.
- Treat the day as a real scenario.
Sound like a lot? That’s BECAUSE IT IS!
Senior OEC is an essential component of the NSP’s Senior program and is tailor-made for members who aspire to perform at the upper levels of proficiency as patrollers. This process will help you to develop and enhance your decision-making, problem management, and leadership skills. If you’re willing to work hard throughout the season to prepare, your success is in your own hands.
The Senior OEC evaluation day has limited capacity and so allocation of evaluation slots is first come, first served.
Links & Forms: (Right-click to download)
Senior OEC Candidate Checklist
IMD Senior Candidate Application
OEC Senior Skills Performance Check-Off Form
Writing your Senior Scenario:
Ski Patrollers Manual (you will need to download from this link or get from nsp.org)
Senior Level Scenario Blank Form
Candidate Questionnaire, Evaluator, Helper, Patient Forms:
Evaluator, Helper, Patient Form